Saturday, July 10, 2010

"us" time...

"The more you invest in a marriage, the more valuable it becomes."
Amy Grant

We are so in need of "us" time... we need to be quiet within our marriage, together, uninterrupted by the madness - the joyful and wonderful madness - of family life.  We need this for our relationship but also as individuals, for our souls.

I'm not sure why but I have chosen to take us back to the wee place we spent the weekend after finding out we were pregnant with our second baby; Eilidh as she now is.  It just feels right, to go full circle in the 2 years it has been.  Perhaps I want to remember and reflect upon that time when anything was possible for the child that was growing inside my womb?  When SMA and disability weren't possible and they certainly were not words in our every day vocabulary.  Perhaps I want to return to that moment and again consider what is possible for my beautiful little girl... it's just different this time and we all have to mend and mould to ever new possibilities.

But this weekend is also about my marriage.  I want to rediscover D.  I want to give him my undivided attention.  I want to talk and laugh and giggle with him. I want to explore our dreams...  I think that he will want to sit and reflect and read from the comfort of his deep rolltop bath, soothed by the warm waters - this is what he dreams of doing from amidst our chaotic life, but never quite gets too do.  He is a simple man, sustained by the simple pleasures of life and I love him even more for this - it makes him who he is. My beloved, my friend.


"The most important marriage skill is listening to your partner in a way that they can't possibly doubt that you love them."


Diane Sollee

No comments: