Thursday, July 22, 2010

"Were you mad before?"

Ok, I like Eilidh's Neurologist.
Just as well really...
I have worked with him - well kind of! - and now he is Eilidh's doctor.
I trust him and respect him.
More importantly, however, he makes me smile and laugh.
Even now, when things are difficult.
But he does break bad news terribly...

We'll call him Dr N - or Dr Neuron...
An excitable cell, transmitting information!
Dr N is Dr N and he says it like it is.
No beating around the bush.
Just open and honest and that's what I need.
He puts D at ease too and that's so important to me...
Eilidh will grow to like him I'm sure.

I am a doctor, trained in paediatrics and palliative care and now working as a GP. 
I never expected to find myself in the position of mummy to Eilidh with SMA and yet, occasionally, I think that I have worked towards this role all of my life.

I find it difficult to trust other doctors. 
Do they know their stuff? Can they communicate well?  Are they good with children?
I know that I am a good doctor, but are they?

I have total faith in Dr N. As a person. As a friend to be.  But most importantly I have faith that he will look after Eilidh and help us on this journey we now find ourselves on.

And then he asks "Were you mad before?" - as in pre-diagnosis - well, at least that's what I took it to mean. I laugh. I'm not insulted. "Yes!" I reply.  He was just being himself.  Iain - just as he should be; only he could get away with asking a question like that.

3 months and counting until our next appointment!


"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."



Dr. Seuss

No comments: