Friday, August 06, 2010

Elephants

Since Eilidh's diagnosis I have been very aware of the elephant in the room.  In fact, at times, there has been a herd of stampeding elephants and they have overwhelmed me.  I guess that some people don't know what to say, or if they do know what to say, they can't quite bring themselves to say it.  I wish that they would just talk about it, openly and honestly. "It" - Eilidh's disability or condition - is now part of our lives: we have to live with it every single day, we cannot escape SMA and we need to be able to talk about it...

So, my solution, to stop the sense of being overwhelmed, to bring a little smile to my face is an elephant.  Or a herd.  A print of elephants by Louise Cunningham from Paper Alligator at www.notonthehighstreet.com:


Love Elephants

They arrived today and you have to LOVE them... they are sitting on the mantlepiece and they are making me smile.  So now I can see the elephants in the room... they are real and ever-present...

No comments: