Sunday, August 22, 2010

"I love you right up to the moon... and back."

I love our bedtime routine with the girls...
it's ritual like in the way that it is faithfully followed
and it brings so much joy -
even at the end of a long weary day...

today has been a wonderful day however, full of friendship and good food;
even Niamh said
"I've had a lovely day..."

tonight D was reading a book that we as parents have been reading to Niamh since she was born - "Guess How Much I Love You" by Sam McBratney. 


A night time favourite

It ends...

"I love you right up to the moon... and back."

Just as D finished, Niamh asks
"How much do you love me, mummy?"
"As wide as the oceans and as high as the mountains"
"How much do you love Eilidh?"
"As vast as the deserts and as deep as the oceans"
D at this point has tears in his eyes.

And she went on,
"Mummy, I love you like the oceans and pee"
Now, I had tears in my eyes: tears of joy, laughter and pride...
You see, Niamh had remembered the Cycle of Water!
Joy!
Deep, deep joy...

I love our bedtime stories.

No comments: