Monday, August 30, 2010

A wee glimpse...

I saw a wee glimpse of our future yesterday.
For the first time since Eilidh's diagnosis, and with hope, I saw what life could be like...
And it wasn't half bad!
But I am aware that we were on the outside looking in...
I have no real concept of the day-to0day goings on...

I met another SMArty mummy a few weeks ago for a coffee, chat and a walk in the park.  I was instantly drawn to her - down-to-earth, open and funny - a mirror of myself perhaps?  We talked about our girls, our families, our lives and, to some extent, I felt as though I had come home.  I had found someone who knew where I was and how I was feeling: and that felt good.  Because, when you look at it, when it comes down to what I am experiencing and feeling, and it feels very selfish to say this or perhaps self-absorbed, NO-ONE can truly know what I am feeling - not even D... but the other SMArty mummy can because she has been there.  She knows how it feels to have your beautiful child, the child that you carried in your womb and nursed, diagnosed with SMA.  She will know the pain that you feel inside your heart.  She will, more than likely, ache for me...  And I could tell all of this from the hug that she gave me as we said our goodbyes on that first day we met.  (And funnily enough, on reflection, I felt that too when I shook hands with Lou from DragonMobility - the ache that she felt deep inside, the empathy that she held for me and for others too.  Note to self, next time I see Lou, give her a hug!)

Yesterday the two SMArty families met up for lunch and a play in the park and, crikey, we had a wonderful day... Great company, interesting chat and inspiring kiddies... The sun was shining on us.  The children were funny, charming and utterly gorgeous.  The parents were open, honest and funny.  I couldn't have asked for a better meeting. I couldn't have asked for more.  Our two worlds collided and we all survived intact (I think!), joined together in friendship, firstly by SMA but hopefully, in time, by more.  I do so very hope that this is the start of something honest, wonderful and awe inspiring...

Thank you for a wonderful day... you know who you are...

And here's to our wonderful future...
Within our family
and from the outside looking in, too..


No comments: