Monday, September 06, 2010

Gratitude

"Gratitude is not only the greatest of all virtues, but the parent of all others."
Cicero

A long time I ago I suggested to someone, whose life had been turned upside down, to keep a gratitude diary, realising that if we could see the beauty in the smallest object or gesture and feel thanks for it that, perhaps, our souls would feel a little lighter...

More recently the same person reminded me that I should be doing the same, taking note of those special moments, those little objects, those memorable gestures that make me smile and think

"oh, it's good to be alive!"

On reflection I think that I am a very grateful person and I do take time to give thanks, but not in a formal, structured way.  Not in a way that I can look back and say

"WOW, what great days these have been!".

Not in a way that I can be grateful for being grateful...

So from today I am going to record my gratitude for moments in my life.  Sometimes I may share them, sometimes I will keep them close to my heart: today here are my reasons to be grateful:

Eilidh's cheeky, mischievous smile which lights up her face, and in turn my own,  just when I'm having a sad moment - it's like she knows...

Niamh singing "Puff" totally out of tune but with such vigour and confidence - this is how she approaches life... you go, girl!

My beautiful sunflowers which Niamh and I have grown and tended to from seed - they light up our garden and shine on my soul...

D, my beloved and my friend, with whom I walk through life...


"Gratitude makes sense of our past,
brings peace for today,
and creates a vision for tomorrow."
Melody Beattie

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: