Monday, September 13, 2010

Hospital appointments

I HATE hospitals... but more about that at a later date...

Another appointment today, this time at a combined neurology and respiratory clinic...
I always feel nauseous on approaching a hospital... old habits die hard!

Today I felt that same nausea as we walked to the Out Patient Clinic where we sat for 35 minutes waiting for our appointment.  Me holding Eilidh tight in my arms as though protecting her from the unfamiliarity of the hospital but actually protecting and shielding myself from my own anxiety.

At last her name was called...

The small consultation room was full of tired health care professionals at the end of an over-running clinic.  It was more or less a "meet and greet"... a quick synopsis, a quick listen to Eilidh's chest and a look at her huge benign tonsils as she screamed at the consultant. 

We need to be proactive:
always thinking that a chest infection is a possibility but not a probability;
early intervention with breathing exercises and chest physiotherapy,
and an awareness that the team is there to contact as and when we need them. 

Assisted ventilation?
Yes, it may be needed in the future but we are here and now and Eilidh is well in herself. 

Does she snore? I smiled... Definitely... like a tractor ploughing a field (my brother snores like that and has done from an early age :))... that, combined with her large benign tonsils and a tendency towards weak respiratory muscles, means that she could well have a degree of obstructive sleep apnoea (which, incidentally I have questioned and suggested at previous appointments with neurology).  A pulse oximeter was the answer.  This was quickly organised and a mini sleep study, in the comfort of our own home, was to be undertaken, and we were dismissed.
I left the consultation a little dissatisfied but happy that Eilidh was doing well.  I got the feeling that we were a little short-changed and rushed through our new patient appointment because it was the end of the day and the clinic had run considerably over.  That wasn't our fault though, was it? We should have been given the same care and attention as the first person on the clinic list... 

But maybe I expect too much? 
Why shouldn't I though? 
Eilidh is my daughter,
she is my life
and I expect everyone who comes in contact with her,
who comes to know her and love her as I do,
to do the best for her...

The learning point from the consultation? 
Rough and tumble play is good for her breathing...
Tickling is a great breathing exercise...
Now, we all know SMArty LOVES being tickled...
and with that final thought I smile and the world is a better place as I can hear her little giggle in my head...
a gorgeous and totally infectious Eilidh giggle... 

No comments: