Tuesday, December 28, 2010

But My Christmas Present...

... from the girls, quite simply, touched my heart...

I have a fond childhood memory of my Grannie's button box:
An old Roses tin,
battered and scratched,
hidden away in the drawers in the sitting room.
Many a Saturday I would
rifle and rummage
through the tin,
looking for new treasures
and prized buttons.
Grannie would remember the
Dress
or the
Cardigan
the button came from.
They captured happy moments
and special times.

I remember the colours
and the
shapes
and the
feel of the buttons.
I remember
the time spent
with Grannie.

I wonder where her button box went
when she died?

I have my own button box now:
to rifle
and
rummage through;
To keep memories alive
and
"just in case"
a button should ever go astray.

My Christmas present from the girls this year?
A homemade
heart
of
buttons.





There has never been so tender a gift given...
Or received...
xxx

No comments: