Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Difficult Night...

Friday night was The Wheelie Good Dance in my home town...

I grew up in East Lothian.
It will always be my home
Wherever I am.

My family...
We are part of the land.
Part of East Lothian life.
We breathe the air and walk upon the fertile ground.
We know the people.
We are them.
They know us
And they know me.

And yet on Friday night I felt like a stranger.
In my home town,
Encircled by friends,
With my husband by my side.

People had gathered to help us: D and I, Niamh and Eilidh.
We had asked: we had put our pride to the side
And asked for help.
And they came.

They came to support us all:
they wanted to help in some way;
they wanted us to know that they are there for us.
But knowing this didn't help.
I felt awkward; 
I felt that all eyes were on us.

It was the reality of Eilidh and her Whizzy Wheels
That hit me the hardest
And the tears fell.
People watched them fall:
Friends and strangers
Saw me,
Raw and in pain.

Overwhelmed by events and emotions, love and support,
I bend my head low and left:
I am so very tired of being big and brave...
Even though people think of me as
Strong
&
Brave
&
Inspirational.

A difficult night,
full of mixed emotions
BUT an amazing success
and a totally humbling experience.
So many people to thank...

All in all?
I'm glad that I went.
I'm glad that 2 old friends cared enough to organise the night.
I'm glad that I put my belief in people...

No comments: