The story of a whizzy-wheeled home: full of life and laughter, and written with a whole lot of love, a touch of grace and bucket fulls of hope.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Family "Rules"...

I'm not a "rules" kind of mummy but I do think that it's a good idea to have some house "rules" to live by and to grow by...

I have seen a friend with rules, amongst family pictures, magnets and colourful doodles, on her fridge...

Our nursery has rules for the little ones ..."don't run" "use quiet voices" ...

And then I stumbled across these gorgeously vibrant rules on NOTHS... the link to the creator "I Love Design" is here:





by I Love Design


 
And it got me thinking...

I would like my family to know that they are loved no matter what and above all else; that they can talk openly about anything at anytime; that they can trust and depend on each other: that they should do their best for themselves but for others, too; that they should be respectful of family, friends, and others at all times; and that we should live simply and humbly with joy and grace.

Quite a tall order perhaps but maybe "rules" - positive statements about how my family wants to look after and treat its members - could help our family get along even better and make family life a little bit more peaceful... 

And maybe our "rules" can become our "manifesto"... our public and clear declaration of principles and intentions... actually, I much prefer the word "manifesto" to "rules"... it sounds so much more positive... a word to truly live by...

Our little ones may well be a wee bit young but they both understand when they have done something naughty and I'd like them to know where the limits are and what's expected of them... they may well forget, they may well get distracted but hey! no one is perfect! D & I will remind them - and ourselves - and support them and love them and grow with them - and each other - just as a family should...

so our family "manifesto":

be polite
be kind & gentle
use quiet voices
pay with kisses
hug often
be honest
keep your promises
do your best
be respectful
love one and other
live with joy & grace


now just to turn it into a little pretty, stylish piece of wall art...












No comments: