Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Hi-ho hi-ho, it's back to work I go



After 18 months I rejoined the work force today.
A new specialty.
A new job.
A new start.

I can't believe that it has been 18 months - I mean, I have done a few days of locuming here and there over the last 2 months, but nothing much really - since I walked out of my previous work place. 

18 months!
Where has the time gone? 
What have I been doing for the last year? 
What an earth have I achieved? 

But then I take the time to look back at the last year: it's been a hell of a year with many a challenge encountered!  
My daughter has been diagnosed with a neuromuscular disease which means that she is wheelchair bound and, though we may never truly come to terms with her diagnosis, we have met some wonderful people on our journey to date;
I started a Fund to raise £20,000 for a powered wheelchair which has meant that E has gained valuable independence;
I started blogging and found a place to be me, a place to reflect and grow;
We moved house and we created a home;
The girls started at a new nursery where disabled and able-boded children play and learn together, supported by the most amazing staff;
And more important than all of the above, we have created a tight family unit with two beautiful, independent, strong-minded little girls at its centre.

Taking each day as it comes,  I have continually moved forward.  I have lived every second and every minute of the last 18 months but now it's time to regain a little of myself, a little bit of me that has been forgotten about.  Today, with mixed feelings and a little trepidation, I returned to work... and I survived!