Thursday, August 25, 2011

Sleep alludes us


by clare elsaesser




"Sleep that knits up the ravel'd sleeve of care,
The death of each day's life, sore labor's bath,
Balm of hurt minds, great nature's second course,
Chief nourisher in life's feast."
William Shakespeare




Sleep alludes us all, it's restorative powers outwith our reach.  We all need nourished and soothed, refreshed and restored but we live sleep-deprived and the days - more often than not  - unravel before us.

I fear (we fear - D & I) that SMA has put an end to sleep as we knew it.  Having babies changed our view of sleep but now Eilidh needs checked and repositioned at night, uncomfortable as she slumbers on.

Sleep alludes us all.

Tonight I must go to bed early.

Tonight I need to sleep.

Sleep will come and soothe my soul...