Monday, September 19, 2011

Attitude






I very much believe that my attitude is what has gotten me through the last year or so.  It started with post-natal depression and then WHAM! came Eilidh's diagnosis of Spinal Muscular Atrophy.  I could so easily have chosen the other road, the road to putting my head in the sand, to forgetting to live, to not striving for the best future possible.  But I didn't, "I took the one less travelled by, And that had made all the difference."  I am certain that my choosing a positive attitude has had a knock-on effect on my direct family and friends, giving us all the courage to walk with our heads held high and to be proud of ourselves.  With this attitude we realise that the bad days, the difficult times are fleeting and temporary, that we can do this, that we can go on living...  We survive the tough times by choosing each day the attitude that serves us best, knowing that that very same attitude makes the good days, the fun days all the more colourful.  I just wish more people would choose their attitude and embrace their day.



The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveller, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

Robert Frost