Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Autumnal Hues



I adore Autumn: the moment I catch, in the corner of my eye, a single leave falling gently to the floor; the v-shape high in the sky of the migrating geese;  the emerging crispness to the morning; sunshine, blustery winds and speeding clouds; the much longed for snuggle of a cardigan and blanket as the evening cools; and the first autumn fire, flames dancing.

So often Autumn is associated with sadness - songs and poems of autumn are full of melancholy and loss: summer and all its youthfulness and possibility has passed, winter is on the horizon, the skies turn grey, the nights draw in, and we turn inward, hibernating physically and, perhaps mentally, too.  Life slows and we await the first signs of spring when the circle of life will continue again.

I feel so alive in autumn; it is my time!  The wind blows cobwebs away and I dance amongst the leaves, rejuvenated and hopeful, enjoying the  bountiful lushness of the season.  I hope that I pass on my love of autumn to N & E.  This weekend we picniced in the woods as the leaves drifted to the floor, we collected leaves of every shape and colour, and danced amomgst the trees, returning home with rosy glows and happy hearts; I hope that happiness is indeed infectious...

Enjoy the beauty of autumn the "season of mists and mellow fruitfulness"; it is full of life and joy.







"Autumn is a second spring where every leaf is a flower"
Albert Camus







"Autumn, the year's last, lovliest smile"
William Cullen Bryant







"Every leaf speaks bliss to me, fluttering from the autumn tree"
Emily Bronte