Monday, September 05, 2011

LIfe is just a Show




I heard "The Show Must Go On" today - it would have been Freddie Mercury's 65th birthday - and it got me thinking...

Life is a show.  A production.  A circus. A drama.  A sitcom.  A pantomime.  With ups and downs, excitement and drama.  We all play our part.  We are all part-time actors, participating in the every day: genuinely ourselves at times but masters of deception too.  We can hide our feelings, burying them deep - despite our hearts breaking - and show the world that, with a smile, life carries on.  We can laugh and joke, chat and gossip, listen and console, but it can all be an act, our minds elsewhere.





The show, the greatest show on earth, stops as the front door closes behind us.  Safely in the security of our own homes, the act is over and real life prevails again.  Have we been worthy of a BAFTA or an Oscar today?  Have we deceived one and all or in fact fooled no one?  Time will tell.

Some days I'm not very sure where my act begins or ends.  Am I acting out a life I think that people want to see or living the life I have?  It's not always clear.  What I do know though is that I'm very good at saying "I'm fine" and carrying on...  I must be a reasonably good actor because reality blurs and I'm starting to believe that I am fine when, quite clearly (at least inside my head) I'm not.

My heart is breaking inside but life carries on.  With a smile the show goes on, entertaining and enthralling until the stage curtain falls on another day.  The show must go on!



"The Show must go on!
The Show must go on! Yeah,yeah!
Ooh! Inside my heart is breaking!
My make-up may be flaking...
But my smile, still, stays on!
Yeah! oh oh oh"










"To me, the most autobiographical line was: 'My make-up may be flaking but my smile still stays on.' That was true. No matter how ill Freddie felt, he never grumbled to anyone or sought sympathy of any kind. It was his battle, no one else's, and he always wore a brave face against the ever-increasing odds against him"
Jim Hutton