Wednesday, October 05, 2011

The Gallery: What Colour is Today?







Today is a grey day - the sky is grey, grey, grey.
"Grey Day... Everything is grey.  I watch.  But nothing moves today"
And I dream of a bright blue days and pink days
"But when my days are Happy Pink
it's great to jump and just not think."




There are so many colours in this world and I love talking with the girls about colour and drawing and painting, mixing colours carelessly (and always - of course! - ending up with a sludgy brown...). 

Colours can be easy to describe - unlike moods.  Sometimes we can't find the words to describe how we are feeling and we stomp our feet or run around in a tizz or shout and scream; people look at us as if we are mad! 

I want my girls to be able to describe how they are feeling; and in light of our world being turned upside down, this has become so important to us.  We talk of colour and mood.  We talk of pink days and red days and how wonderful they are.  We talk of grey days and black days and how horrible they feel, but that it's ok to feel that way because soon the day will turn orange or yellow and we'll be happy again...

Dr Suess wrote the text to "My Many Coloured Days" in 1973; he wanted a "great colour artist... (to) bring a new pattern of thinking to my words" and this book was completed after his death.  It's a remarkable book and I highly recommend it to those who want to talk about feelings with their children - it's easy to read and the art is so expressive, catching the mood in colour and movement.


This post is part of Tara's The Gallery over at Sticky Fingers.  The theme this week is "Colour" ... I struggled with this post - colour is everywhere but it is Children's Book Week - and I love Children's Books - so this post fits just right...




So...What colour is your day today?