Wednesday, January 18, 2012

It's my birthday!







Today is my birthday.
My present?
Time for me.
A selfish act
or one of
self-preservation?
I feel the later,
if truth be told,
and I hope
all would agree.
I deserve some "me" time
and today is the day.

I wander aimlessly
without a care in the world:
I am content.
I have no company,
no one to talk to,
no one to pull at my coat
or demand from me;
I am anonymous amidst the
noise and bustle of the city.

I am alone but far from lonely;
I know that I am loved on this Earth.
I have family at home
and friends never far away,
but I need no one today.
Just me;
Me with Me -
Such a rare occurrence.

I wander.
I doddle.
I pause.
I ponder.
I browse.
I shop.
I smile.
I laugh.

And then it's time for home,
home to my family.
I am relaxed
and content
and present.
I have enjoyed my time
but it's good to be home.
Happy Birthday, to me!

7 comments:

The Last Slayer said...

Happy Birthday!! Sounds like you've had a lovely day so far. I agree that me-time is necessary for self preservation. Your day sounds heavenly to me.

helloitsgemma said...

happy birthday - sound a perfect day. me time matters and thats a fact

Midlife Singlemum said...

Happy Birthday! Love your poem xx

Achan said...

Happy birthday! Another beautiful person with a birthday in January...mine was seven days earlier :)

I too agree that time to oneself is precious to the soul and spirit. Glad you enjoyed your day, now have a hug with your dear ones

Di said...

Happy Birthday. Good for you, taking *me time*. I really enjoyed reading your post! :)

BavarianSojourn said...

Happy Happy Birthday! Hope you had a lovely day! Emma :) xxx

ever hopeful mummy said...

thank you everyone for my birthday wishes. it was a day of simplicity, no frills but i loved it... and i finished my day with pizza, ice cream sundaes and my family - what more could a girl ask for? xxx