Wednesday, February 08, 2012

500! Surely Not?

I love books!


and now I can buy more!  Apparently, you can inspire your child to read by having somewhere in the region of five hundred books in your house...  Yes, you read right...  500!



 

Sadie Wendell Mitchell: "Dig", 1909




And it doesn't matter what sort of books they are either...
All shapes and all sizes, all subjects and all content:
A child's book, a comic, a classic, a chic-lit, a medical textbook, an IT bible.
They will all inspire curiosity and generate interest.

Our children will sit amongst them, leaf through the pages and ask questions.
They will lose themselves in far off lands and marvel over the weird and wonderful.
Hopefully, ultimately, our children will be drawn into reading and all that it can offer them.

I have fond memories of gazing through the bookshelves at my grannie's, a tupperware cup of cremola foam by my side - the tactile nature of the cover and spine, the feel and smell of the paper, the different shapes of the letters, the illustrations and photos.  I still love browsing in book shops and I'm a lover of paper, too; I hope that my children will develop my love of books.  However, I can't help but wonder if it can truly be as easy as buying more books and surrounding my children with them?  No, probably not, but it's a good starting point!  So Amazon, here I come...






    “The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”

Dr Seuss




And where did the random number come from? A man on Chris Evan's Breakfast Show - I took notes during the show in particular but I can't remember which day it was so I'm sorry for the half-baked information...




3 comments:

Di said...

I also love books. My teenager is an avid reader and although Nick doesn't (can't) read, he does love it when I read to him! :)

ever hopeful mummy said...

books are just so beautiful!
what does Nick like you to read to him, Di?

The Last Slayer said...

Hi! I found your post through the Love All Blogs showcase. Even though I now have a kindle, I still love "real" books and will carry on buying them - a good job too if I'm going to reach 500! I actually feel quite relieved to hear it say it's enough to have them around us, to inspire curiosity, as it helps allay the guilt if I don't remember to sit and read to the boys in a day.