Friday, March 16, 2012

Art I Heart - In the beginning




This sampler has looked down upon me for as long as I can remember.

Stitched with love by my mum for her baby it talks to me of a mother's love for her child: each stitch stitched was probably done with love, hope, and excitement for the future. 

The prayer talks of a faith that every mother hopes for; that something exists beyond their love, that their child will never be alone.


It wasn't until I had children of my own, however, that I realised just how powerful this simple prayer is.  I have entrusted my children to a God that I have faith in: should I not always be by their side, I know that He is and that He will carry them when they can walk no more.  This faith was again highlighted and reinforced when E was diagnosed with SMA - I have no choice to believe that He walks by her side.

So, mum, thank you for my sampler, for every stitch stitched; thank you for teaching me about a mother's love for her child;  and thank you for planting that little seed of faith so many years ago (for it is continuing to slowly grow).




Oh, I absolutely  love galleries and Rachel at Midlife Singlemum is showing us around her own wee gallery in #ArtIHeart - go and take a wee sneek peek - it's like "looking through the keyhole" - and link up to this wee gem of a gallery for a moment of reflection.






3 comments:

Midlife Singlemum said...

This is so moving - it makes me want stitch the same thing for my daughter. Thanks for linking up.

achan said...

I really believe that the Lord lead me to your blog some time back, I'm sure he'll reveal why one day.

My mum made a Hobbytex picture for me too using the same poem, but different pictures, it hang over my bed until I moved out of home. It is still in my old bedroom :) You're right it does hold so much more meaning once you become a mother...I might get mum to bring it when she comes in May.

h0peful mummy said...

thank you rachel and achan.
i found anopther version just now which i should perhaps adopt as a mummy:
"Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep;
Guide us through the starry night,
and wake us with the morning's light.
I ask not for myself alone,
but for thy children—every one."
thank you for stopping by and achan - He will make it clear one day x