Monday, August 13, 2012

Our Children



The Graduation Medley was brilliant - thank you, Rufus! - and I often catch myself singing along with N now, some weeks later, smiling at the lyrics, laughing at how N misquotes them.  The songs and lyrics remind me - on the eve of N's school career - that I am not neccessarily the keeper of my children but instead I help raise them to know that they are of unique heart and mind, safe in the knowledge that they are deeply loved.  My children are no different from others;  children need roots to grow and wings to fly (and a good song or two to belt out with great gusto and confidence, even though they may be just a little out of tune...)







"With a cool, cool breeze and dirty knees
I rest on childhood memories
We all got old at breakneck speed
Slow it down, go easy on me, go easy on me

Put a wetsuit on, come on, come on
Grow your hair out long, come on, come
Put a T-shirt on
Do me wrong, do me wrong, do me wrong"

"You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains;
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas;
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders;
You raise me up... To more than I can be."

"What would you do if I sang out of tune,
Would you stand up and walk out on me.
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song,
And I'll try not to sing out of key.
Oh I get by with a little help from my friends,
Mmm,I get high with a little help from my friends,
Mmm, I'm gonna try with a little help from my friends.

Do you need anybody?
I need somebody to love.
Could it be anybody?
I want somebody to love."

"Tonight
we are young
So lets set the world on fire
We can burn brighter
Than the sun"


No comments: