Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Hope



"hope sees the invisible, feels the intangible and achieves the impossible"
Helen Keller













Once born of the earth,
grounded
and
steadfast
and 
strong,
my hope
was
doubtless 
and 
unquestioned.
But then
hope was lost: 
there I was
bobbing up 
and 
down 
on the ocean vast,
disappearing
below the surface,
from time to time,
drowning in
sorrow.
There was 
nothing 
to hold on to;
nothing
visible
or
real 
or
tangible.
I was lost
without
hope.
But
a lifebelt was
thrown, 
invisible but
ever present,
a comfort and aid:
hope
was its name.
Now
buoyant with hope
I can see the
stars
bright
and beautiful
and ever hopeful.
hope,
a guiding light 
through the
darkness,
and although
it may 
wax and wane,
it will catch me once more
and return me to the
earth,
never to 
leave me
adrift 
and
alone
again.






A little abstract perhaps but inspired none the less by Di who posted about the ever changing face of hope at Hopeful Parents and Katie who wrote a beautiful post about hope here, reminding me that hope is so many things: these two remarkable friends fill me with hope and are a constant reminder to (in the words of Obama): 


"have the courage to keep reaching, 
to keep working, to keep fighting".






2 comments:

Bright Side of Life said...

Oh my word, major goosebumps. What a beautiful poem. A truly wonderful post. x

BavarianSojourn said...

Truly beautiful words...