Thursday, December 20, 2012

It's Not From a Store



Niamh and I read "The Grinch" for the first time last night - it's our new Christmas book to share as a family, adding to our ever growing library of books celebrating Christmas.  While it's not my favourite Dr Seuss, I thoroughly enjoyed it as a book but it was the message it spoke of that resonated deeply:



Christmas is so much more than presents










I wanted to share this message again with her:

"so, Christmas is so much more that presents..."

and I went on to ask her "so what is Christmas for you, N?"

"fun and joy and the birth of Jesus and love"

and I rejoiced, for my girl, as young and tender as she is just now, got Christmas!  She understands the essence of the Christmas spirit... I wonder though, cynical as I may be at times, how long this innocence will last?  For the moment, however, I will celebrate it, remembering that Christmas is something much more than presents; instead it is something we feel inside when we are stand still amidst the festive season.  Take time to stand still over the coming week and truly feel Christmas for it is everywhere...





3 comments:

Bright Side of Life said...

I think that you are right, celebrate the moment right now. The years pass by far too quickly.. and soon you will have teenagers like me.
Have a wonderful Christmas and may it be all that you wish for.
Di xx

Midlife Singlemum said...

She sounds very special your little N. Merry Christmas to you and your family. xxx

BavarianSojourn said...

She's a very wise girl! Have a wonderful Christmas with your lovely family! Emma xx