Saturday, March 01, 2014

Am I MAD in 2014?



My family is MAD?


Am I worthy of a MAD?
Perhaps not, but...

Is SMA worthy of a MAD?

I think so,
but then I am biased!



Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) is a genetic disorder that affects nerve cells so that muscles can't be used and become wasted, or atrophied.  SMA affects the nerves in an area of the spinal cord called the anterior horn. The nerve cells become damaged, breaking the link between the brain and the muscles. As a result, the muscles can't be used and waste away. This can lead to problems with breathing as well motor activities such as crawling, walking, feeding and head control.

SMA is a genetic disease and types I, II and III are autosomal recessive conditions meaning that if both your parents are carriers, you have a 1 in 4 chance of having the disease.

After cystic fibrosis, (SMA) is the second most common lethal autosomal recessive disease in Caucasians.
Approximately one million people in the UK are SMA carriers (about one in 50 people)

Approximately one in 20,000 babies is affected with severe SMA and dies before they reach a year of age.
Type II is the most common form of SMA and the form that my daughter has.
So why am I appealing to you?  It's not because I think that I am one of the top blogs in the parenting blogsphere but I do want to shout out about SMA...
Why do I want to be nominated? So that SMA can be recognised, so that awareness can be raised, so that research can be funded and supported, so that the lives of those living with SMA can be improved.  SMA deserves more recognition: help me spread awareness by nominating Touch and Tickle in the MADs 2014 - it really is that simple!

Thank you. 




MAD Blog Awards





No comments: