Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Reading



Why do we read?


"We need to know we are not alone"
C.S.Lewis



Each one of us will take something different from the words and chapters of the books that we read: we will see characters in different lights, we will imagine far off places and lands, experiencing different worlds and moments, dreaming of - perhaps - a life less ordinary.







my book choice is, as you can see, rather eclectic, but then, isn't life?





"No two persons ever read the same book."
Edmund Wilson





Why do we read?
I read to escape...


Over the last few weeks and months I have left the moment and very much lost myself within the pages of many a book.  I have devoured the written word, finding escape in other worlds, other stories, other people's - fictional and non-fictional - lives.  I have found peace and quiet, far from my world, far from the trials and tribulations of the day to day.  Lost in the words and sentences, I stop thinking about my life: I stop running; I stop moving and juggling; I stop worrying and ruminating; I find rest and restoration; I lose myself.  I don't know where I would be without books - right now they keep me company during the wee small hours when I struggle to find sleep and they cease the ruminations that run wild.  I am grateful that I can read and I am grateful for the books I read.








3 comments:

Midlife Singlemum said...

I agree a great read can be a great escape. But what is an ordinary life? Not sure that exists tbh.

mummykimmy said...

I read to escape too. I've just read your absolutely beautiful and heart-breaking piece on discovering Eilidh has SMA II. I know something of what you're going through and I just wanted to send you my love.

BavarianSojourn said...

One of the reasons why I hate watching films of books that I have read... They completely don't live up to how they should be!! Love reading, it's such a great escape isn't it? xx