Thursday, March 07, 2013

My Grandfather

 
 
I never met my grandfather and my dad knew him only for a short time before he died.  He was a baker and confectioner, working at Jenners before starting his own bakery and tearoom in Haddington.
 
Decades after his death, I remember weekends at my grannie's, breakfasting with tearoom china and silver toast racks - she made breakfast feel so special and decadent.
 
I think that his baking legacy continues on; my baking days will never be over - it's so therapeutic! - and Eilidh just loves cake too much!  But I so wish that I had had the chance to meet him, that I had shared stories of the tearoom days with my grannie. 
 
And now, I dream of lazy, decadent breakfasts with my children and cakes - glorious and divine cakes! - for they are part of whom I am.
 
 
 






2 comments:

Midlife Singlemum said...

You know those exercises - if you could invite any three people (living or dead) to make up a foursome for dinner, who would you invite? I would invite my Grandfather whom I never met. He was a Parsee from India who came to the UK to study medicine in Edingburgh. He died when my mother was only 11. I so understand you.

Btw - I'd also like to have dinner with Jesus to find out what exactly he had in mind for the future when he was doing his good work.

I used to have a third guest but I can't remember who it is now. Possibly Henrietta Szold.

BavarianSojourn said...

Baking is definitely in your blood! That photograph is just so special! :)