Monday, June 03, 2013

Flowergirl


niamh aged 3 in my flowergirl dress from years ago




I remember being a flower girl
or perhaps the photographs
serve as a reminder,
evoking memories long forgotten.
I remember my granddad,
kilted and proud of his youngest daughter.
I remember the bible,
cloaked in delicate flowers.
And I remember the moment
I saw my aunt,
my godmummy,
veil in place;
the bride,
resplendent,
beautiful
and
graceful.
I remember the drive
to the reception,
passing my granny and my little brother,
waving from a window
as we drove by.
Happy memories,
they serve us well
over the years,
don't they?
I fondly remember being a flower girl;
I hope my girls will too.
xxx
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Midlife Singlemum said...

I remember being a bridesmaid twice (to two cousins who were sisters) in the summer of 1967. I was five. Very happy memories.

BavarianSojourn said...

That's a lovely post... I was never a bridesmaid, but my daughter has been a couple of times now...I will keep her dresses for her to hand down one day!