Friday, August 16, 2013

Learn to "Love Your Garden" - a letter to Alan


 
Dear Alan and Team
 
I know that my good friend sent you a letter - she told me recently - she wanted to help, she wanted to make a difference to our lives.  She wanted you to help to rid us of our inaccessible garden, to improve the clay soil and boggy grass, to clear the concrete the previous owner laid everywhere and to kill the ever present mare's tail.  She wanted you to help create a garden our children could access and play in, where fairies could come and go, with the ultimate goal of enabling us to enjoy family time in our garden - Snappie the powered wheelchair and all.
 
 
 
 





 
 
 
 
 
 
But you didn't knock on our door...
 
Love Your Garden began and D & I settled down to watch the first episode and the second and those thereafter too.  Tears fell as we listened to the heart-breaking and humbling stories of those selected for the makeover; their need for spaces to relax, their need for hope and joy, and then their amazement and gratitude as you presented them with these magnificent gardens.
 
You change lives.
 
You make a difference.
 
I'm grateful for all that you have done for these families, I really am; I just wish that you had knocked at our door, we could have done with your help...
 
Today, our garden gets a ramp so that my daughter can gain access to the house, so that she and her sister can come and go and play as they wish, with fairies by their side.  There's a long way to go to create a private and accessible garden which we can enjoy and sit out in, but we're starting and as we know, the first step is often the hardest.
 
So I have to thank, Charleston Girl for sending the letter - she wanted to make a difference, I know that - but we weren't lucky enough to be selected and so, on our own, we're striving forward to that dream garden, fairies and all. 
 
With Best Wishes
 
Ever H0pefulmummy
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

BavarianSojourn said...

Good luck with the garden, I hope it evolves into something you all love! :)

Midlife Singlemum said...

I'm sure this is just the start of reclaiming your garden. Good luck with it.