Thursday, October 17, 2013

A Fiddler's Lament



A funeral: blue skies, green hills and autumnal trees.  A small church at the heart of a thriving and connected community; a community mourning a loved one and friend.  Fiddle music echoed mournful laments to a woman I respected and liked.  A sad goodbye, but it was time, it was time.  I knew no one bar the woman lying peacefully - at last - in the coffin, her beautiful daughter sitting nearby and the nurse to my left who had cared for her.

I was once asked by a chaplain, "what makes a person more than just a patient?".  I form a relationship with all my patients, underpinned by empathy and compassionate care, often with unbidden acts of kindness too.  On occasion there is a shared kindredness and they see all that I am and the many hats that I wear.  We give to each other and, over time a mutually beneficial relationship forms: that is when a person becomes more than just a patient and I become more than just a doctor.

This woman was more than just a person, more than just a patient, and I was more than just a doctor.











2 comments:

BavarianSojourn said...

Sorry for your loss. You sound like a lovely doctor! :) x

h0peful mummy said...

thanks, em... i try to be lovely (most of the time!)